How To Read A Library Of Congress Call Number
Sample Call Number:
LC Call numbers consist of several parts:
- The first line: “HV” defines the class and subclass.
- These letters specify a broad subject area.
- Within the class of “H” for SOCIAL SCIENCES, Subclass “HV” represents Social Pathology (Social & Public Welfare).
- The second line: “3176″ is the classification number.
- The third line: “D55″ is called a “Cutter Number”
- Letter number combination indicates author or further subject subdivision or geographic area.
- The fourth line: “2004″ is the year of publication.
Not all call numbers include publication year but most recent books will.