Library Catalog: Limiting Search Results
Often when searching by keyword in an online catalog, the list of titles that is displayed is quite large. Taking advantage of the Limit/Sort option in the Library Catalog will allow you to narrow those results to a list that is more manageable. To use this function, just execute a search in the Library Catalog. Once you get the results, click on the Limit/Sort Results button. You will then be able to limit your search to any of the following options.
- Choose from 12 different languages
- Choose Projected AV to find videos
- Choose Diss/Thesis to find dissertations
- Choose Serial to limit to journal or magazine titles
Other options are also available:
Words in the….
- Narrow your results by combining your original search terms with a word from a particular field (author, title, subject, publisher).
Where Item is Located
- Choose from any of the Case libraries
Year of Publication
- Choose a range of publication years
- Clicking on Sort Results by Year will display the resulting titles in chronological order (most recent first).
After making your choices, simply click on the button labeled “Limit/Sort items retrieved using above data.” The resulting list should be more useful to you.