Library Catalog: Searching by Author
To locate materials in the library catalog by author, choose the “Library Catalog” option on the main Library Catalog page and then select Author Search. In the “Search Input” box, first type the author’s last name, followed by a comma and then the author’s first name or first initial. Example: Smith, John
Additional tips for Searching by Author:
- Depending on how common the name is or how much information you type in, the system will take you directly to the entry for that author or to a list of entries for authors with the same name.
- Click on the author’s name as it is displayed on the screen to get a list of publications by that author.
- Click on the individual titles for more information about the call number, location and status of the book. Click here for an example of an online catalog record.
- If you do not know the first name or initial of an author you may get a large list of entries. You can then limit your search by either publication year or subject. This will reduce the list of authors that you will have to browse through.
- If you type in an author and the screen displays the following message “Your entry would be here” then check your spelling and/or verify the author. If you know you have the correct author, then this message means that Case Western Reserve University does not own books written by that author.
- You can then duplicate your search in the OhioLINK catalog to see if the book is owned by an OhioLINK library. If it is, you can have it delivered to Case Western Reserve University for pickup at one of the campus libraries.
In the online library catalog you can print one record at a time by clicking on the Print icon or you can print, download or e-mail multiple records by marking them for export.