A Quick Look at the Mandel School
The Mandel School is one of the Top 10 schools for social work, according to U.S. News and World Report. We offer:
- An Enduring Tradition: Founded in 1915, the Mandel School is one of America’s oldest university-affiliated schools of social work.
- A Solid Reputation: The Mandel School is internationally-recognized, fully-accredited, and ranked among the Top Ten schools of social work in the country.
- Diversity: We take pride in who we are. Our student population is diverse and we embrace all cultures and religions.
- Extraordinary People: When controlling for faculty size, our faculty ranked first for the number of articles published in social work journals.
- Convenient Facilities: Our building contains one of the largest social work libraries in the country. Classrooms are easy to find, in addition to student lounges, study areas and student services such as the financial aid office and registrar.
- University Affiliation: The Mandel School is a part of the prestigious Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio.
The Master’s program at MSASS adheres to the curricular guidelines set by the Council of Social Work Education. It excels in integrating areas of social work, including social work education, research and community action. Courses explore social work methods, social policy, socio-behavioral theory and social research. Concentrations are offered in Community and Social Development and Direct Practice. Direct Practice specializations are:
Alcohol and other drug abuse
Children, youth and families
In addition, MSASS provides an emphasis in School Social Work and International Social Work.
Through field education, students apply what they learn in class to real-life situations. First-year students work in a setting designed to introduce them to advanced social work practice. In the second year, field education opportunities match the area of concentration. And the best part? We offer paid field placements.
At the Mandel School, we have worked to make master’s study possible for everyone. One of the following options may work for you.
- Full-Time - A two-year program. Two days of classes and three days of fieldwork each week.
- Part-Time - Up to a four-year program with flexible weekday scheduling.
- Intensive - A nine-semester (three-year), weekend program for people working full-time as social workers or in a related field.
- Online - For select concentrations and specializations, the online MSSA allows the flexibility to attend classes remotely.
- Advanced Standing - A program for students with a BSW. May be completed in twelve or eighteen months (certain stipulations apply).
- Other - Additional options are available to students with unique professional or academic backgrounds.
Graduates may take the AASSWB LSW or the AASSWB LISW exam.
At the Mandel School, we consider applicants with a variety of backgrounds and experiences. We strive to find students who will succeed in graduate study. With this goal in mind, our application process is designed to evaluate the total applicant, including these and other criteria:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- An undergraduate GPA of at least 2.7 *
- Previous social work experience, whether paid or volunteer
- Appropriate personal/professional qualities, such as a strong moral character, a caring and compassionate attitude, strong analytical and communication skills, and a personal commitment to serving vulnerable and underrepresented groups
- A personal interview or additional information may be requested
* If a student’s GPA is under 2.7, a strong Miller’s Analogies Test Score or Graduate Record Exam Score may strengthen the application.
Tuition for the 2011-2012 academic year is $35,690 for the full-time master’s program with financial aid available.
Financial aid available including:
- Merit-based scholarships
- Need-based scholarships and grants
- Stipends for students enrolled in the full-time program
- External assistance (e.g., employer tuition reimbursement, outside scholarships)
- Federal and private student loans
To learn more about MSASS, please contact us.